Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Hand Never Held


At Mass this past Sunday, with January 22 coming up, our Priest touched on the abortion issue at Mass. He stated that we should make a special penance on that day, which sounds like a good idea. Right after the homily, we stood for the Creed. As we started, my little one (he's six, but he's still my little one), slipped his fingers into my hand. I turned and looked at him and he gave me the sweetest little smile - the one all of us parents see from time to time, that kind that can make your heart break into a million tiny pieces.

As I turned back to finish the Creed, my mind drifted as I held his little fingers. I thought back to the homily. I thought of all the little hands never held, all the smiles missed, all the joy missed out on over these last 36 years that we've had legalized abortion in this country. As so often happens, I drew a mental picture.

It may not be very original.
It may not even be very good.
Hopefully it conveys what I saw.

12 comments:

Matthew Warner said...

I know the feeling, sir. Great work!

Paul Nichols said...

Thanks Matthew!

Sensei Mitch said...

very poignant. hopefully this really drives the message home to those who need to hear it.

tamtam said...

AWWW...

Touching story and image to accompany it. :)

GOD bless!!

Brian said...

God bless you Paul!

Your post here is so important.

We will not rest until abortion is outlawed in our land, and every land.

Anthony said...

It is beautiful, and I will think of it every time I hold the hands of my 5 year old and my 2 year old.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Would you allow me to post it in my sidebar on my two blogs, giving credit/link back to you? If not, I understand. It's too beautiful not to spread! God Bless you, Paul.

Paul Nichols said...

Of course, Adrienne, absolutely!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Paul! It's beautiful! Will put it up later today... God Bless you.

Paul Nichols said...

Thank you, Grace, glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

FYI: I moved my Adrienne's Armoire blog to http://aszat.wordpress.com -
your image is there, now. I had to reduce it to fit the sidebar, but plan to size it back up as soon as I can rearrange things. It is a great witness! I linked to you from the image. God Bless!

Veronica Glam said...

Beautiful picture.